Annual meeting 2018 and workshop in honor of Françoise Brochard-Wyart
Nomade Lodge, La Chapelle-Gauthier, du 1 au 3 octobre 2018
Registrations are closed.
The 2018 annual meeting of GDR CELLTISS is organized jointly with an international workshop entitled "Be Simple" organized to celebrate the distinguished scientific career of Françoise Brochard-Wyart and her contribution to our understanding of biological matter from the perspective of soft matter physics (liquid crystals, polymers, (de)wetting and hydrodynamics).
The meeting will focus on current biophysical topics addressed at different levels, from molecular to cellular and tissue scales. Despite the complexity of living systems, some properties and behaviors can be explained with very simple arguments originating from concepts developed in soft matter physics or by analogy with other phenomena. This is typically the approach that has guided Françoise Brochard-Wyart since she started to orient her research activities towards biophysics, at the late nineties at the Curie Institute and can be summarized by her moto “Be Simple”.
One day will be completely dedicated to Françoise, with presentations given by world-renowned physicist friends and by younger former students who have then made significant advances in Francoise's footsteps. These talks will cover themes like active biological matter, collective phenomena and self-organization and cell/tissue rheology, which are core themes of the GDR CellTiss. The rest of the meeting will allow PhD students, postdocs and researchers from the GDR CellTiss community to present their recent works related to the abovementioned topics or beyond, e.g. in systems biology, biomimetic systems, ...
Speakers and program
- Atef Asnacios (Université Paris Diderot)
- Nicolas Borghi (Invited speaker, Institut Jacques Monod)
- David Gonzalez-Rodriguez (Invited speaker, Université de Lorraine)
- David Hu (Keynote speaker, Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Jean-François Joanny (Invited speaker, ESPCI ParisTech)
- Erdem Karaketin (Invited speaker, Yale University)
- Lakshminarayanan Mahadevan (Keynote speaker, Harvard University)
- Jacques Prost (Keynote speaker, Physico-Chimie Curie, Institut Curie)
- Tom Witten (Keynote speaker, James Franck Institute, University of Chicago)
- Claire Wyart (Invited speaker, Institut du Cerveau et de la Moelle Épinière)
- Mathieu Wyart (Invited speaker, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne)
Participants and contributions
This meeting will be held from 1st to 3rd of October 2018 at the Nomade Lodge (La Chapelle-Gauthier, 1hour away towards East from Paris). Bus transfers will organized from Melun station (RER D, Transilien) to Nomade Lodge on October 1st (at 11:00 and 12:00) and from Nomade Lodge to Melun station on the 3rd (at 13:30 and 14:30).